Pages

Wednesday 23 September 2015

Our Home Education 2015

I have been home educating for 12 years now.  I still enjoy it as much now as when I started.  It is what I always wanted to do for my children, a desire that grew from when I was a little girl and family friends chose to educate their children at home.  

This thing called home education is fluid.  It changes.  I have educated through many changing circumstances - babies, toddlers, moving house (multiple times), and the biggy... children that change and grow!

Educating seven children means that the dynamics do not stay the same.  What I did in the early years just doesn't work now.  Our dynamics are just too different.  Part of me finds this a little sad.  I loved what we did, the older children and I, when they were little.  But as they have changed and moved onward and upward to different things I have learnt to adapt to the ways and interests of the younger ones.  

My year began with perfectly listed out plans and ideas which I pretty quickly found difficult to execute!  We muddled through keeping to the important subjects of Math and Language/Reading, and although none of my other wonderful ideas made it to the table the children found many other things to inspire learning.  

They do that - learn in spite of my efforts!

Still, I wanted to be a little more intentional.  That was when I discovered the idea of having a box for each day with a collection of learning resources.  Credit goes to my sister who showed me her brilliant idea!


These boxes are for the girls (ages 8 and 10)
These boxes are for the boys (ages 4 and 6)
The boys were very excited to open their box!  They both spent about an hour at the table playing with all the bits inside.  The funny thing is that they had access to all these things before, none of it is new.  

I am hoping that the fact they will only see each box once a week will mean they wont grow weary of the contents as quickly.  Also not being able to pick their "favourites" from a big box may mean they will find value in the activities they weren't initially attracted to.
Each box contains Math, Reading/Writing, Science and Geography resources
What to choose...
Handwriting numbers
Earth Day Bingo
Counting cards and a mirror = science discovery
Magnifying glass
Chalk board numbers and Sequencing blocks

The girls were pretty keen to see what goodies I had packed in their box.  
Each box contains Math, Reading/Writing, Science and Geography resources
Checking out word games
Testing each other on True/False Science questions
I am looking forward to this new dynamic in our home educating journey.  

~Lorna

1 comment:

  1. I like how you added science to the boxes too. I will have to dust off my science box and add those to my boxes :D

    ReplyDelete