Pages

Sunday 16 October 2011

Home Education in Our Family

Why did we choose to educate our children at home rather than follow the masses and send our precious ones off to an educational institution?

Well ... to those who understand it, it is my calling, my purpose in life.  My earliest memories are that of wanting to be a mummy, which is a fairly integral part of home education.  When I was about 8 years old family friends took their child out of public school to educate at home.  I was fascinated!  Those two ideas entwined themselves together.

There was no question for me about who would have the privilege of spending time with my children, so when they came along I didn't follow the expected norm and we didn't do daycare at 1yr old, nor kindy at 3yr old.  However my dh did not have the same conviction as me, so we tried school for 1 term.  That was all it took... and the rest is not history but our current path of life!!

The next development was "how do we do this educating?"  In hindsight I was hopelessly unprepared in my philosophy of how I was going to approach this lifestyle.  After some trial and error, and some research and reading I happened upon the Charlotte Mason philosophy.  I was excited and delighted to discover it matched how I naturally thought, and I had comfort in pursuing what my heart felt was right for us.

I am now reading through a book I wish I had read 8 years ago called The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola.  Part way through the first chapter I started to write down my own thoughts to the question

"What drew me to educate the way I do"?

Living Books - reading books is a passion of mine since childhood, including meandering through an encyclopedia or dictionary on occasion.  This I would give credit to my dad for, as I have memories of him flicking through the dictionary whilst sitting at the dining room table, and lying on the floor of the lounge with him while he explained to me how an encyclopedia works.
Narration - I love the term 'conversational language'.  I am in much anticipation, when my babies being to talk, to know what is the essence of this little person.  As they grow they truly do have their own thoughts on things, and so it makes wonderful sense to allow them to tell back to me what they have learned from what we have read.  I enjoy listening to their opinions form on different matters, and seeing them come to a conclusion on an issue.  It is then truly their own in that sense.
No Grades - I like the idea of being motivated by good character rather than external reward or competitiveness, which can breed prideful ideologies.  I was caught in this unfortunate trap through my school year,s being near the top of my classes but sadly lacking in humility; always striving to be the best outwardly but inside simmered selfishness and a feeling of superiority.  Toward the end of my schooling years I realised I was not all I thought myself to be, and there began some years of misery over my inward state!  I had all-but lost my curiosity and love of knowledge, not desiring to share what I learned.  So I naturally veered away from this with my own children, and I have been learning for myself the gentle art of teaching and learning.
Free Afternoons - many people have the false impression that some home educators don't spend enough time in teaching hours.  It just doesn't take that long to impart a little information daily, and then what a perfect way to set that knowledge by allowing quality free time outdoors or in some activity in which they use that knowledge.  And in our family this time is not filled with electronic gaming devices, which might give one strong, fast thumbs but numbs the brain and stifles creativity!  I am constantly impressed to hear newly acquired knowledge incorporated into their play. (I will post one day on their Story-games)
Ideas and Culture - one thing I do appreciate about computers and the internet is the instantly available pictures and information!  When we read about a topic we often look it up online in google images.  I once travelled the Grand Canyon and the trans-Canadian highway thanks to google maps!

These are some of the things that form my philosophy of education.

2 comments:

  1. Wholesome post!
    And looking forward to your future story-games one also :)

    (Karen's TCMC remains one of my favourite sip reads.)
    Blessings dear friend.

    ReplyDelete