Pages

Thursday 20 October 2011

Home Education in Our Family 3 (part 2)

Today I thought I would add a few examples to accompany the post yesterday.

Jasmine asked me this morning if there is a dictionary to find a word in another language (ie an English to chosen foreign language)  I told her to google it (<3 <3 <3 love google!!).  She came back to me about 15 minutes later fairly buzzing with excitement! 
I wish I could tell you the whole conversation, but it's late and it was a long conversation, however in a nutshell she told me she could figure out quite a lot of the French and Latin words as they are similar to English.  We then had a wonderful, impromptu discussion on languages in Europe and how some are very similar to each other and others are quite different, and looked on our large wall map to see how geographical location may have influenced that. 
She talked a lot to me of how she sees the importance of understanding and even knowing more than one language - this idea had been brewing away for a few weeks after she read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (Corrie and her sisters were fluent in a few languages other than their own) and surfaced now as she had need of finding a word for her own use.

Ahhh,  this is what it is all about!

Moss came to me this morning with the "I'm bored" routine.  I do find if I look like I'm about to ask him to tidy his side of the room he finds he is not so bored anymore (clever me hehe) and not much time later I found him on his bed reading Robinson Crusoe!  Quite some time later I went in to see how he was doing and he gave me a wonderful run down on what he had been reading and all the things he is going to do that Robinson Crusoe did on his island (except for run away from home!).  He also asked for a copy of the book written for older readers and announced he is going to re-read My Side of the Mountain

Hmmmm, happy, happy day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment