Pages

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Home Education in Our Family 5

The Happiness of Habit

Oh..., how encouraging was this chapter in the Charlotte Mason Companion Guide!  I like the habit of routine, I love to make lists of schedules, but it can be hard to stick to these with a big family and the constantly changing dynamics - pregnancy, new baby, a ready to learn new reader, a child moving into a new phase of learning.  There have been times I have thrown my hands up in despair and cried out to God for the "merry-go-ground" to stop a while so I can gather all the loose end together again!  Of course that isn't how it works, and why habit is important.

Habit is formed over time by repetition and much initial attention.  I was amused to read that the author of the above mentioned book had done the same as I; by using my weaker hand to do simple tasks I get an appreciation of how much work it takes to begin to form a new habit.  But eventually it becomes second nature and requires little conscious thought.  It is a good reminder too, when watching my little ones learn a new skill.  I have observed Oak lately trying very hard to brush his own teeth and his efforts are awkward and jerky, but he is making progress and will one day have it down pat - sooner than later I suspect own to his tenacity of spirit!!

Now on the hard days I will remind myself of what Charlotte Mason advised: to continue to acquire my own habit of training my children so that having them with me all day is a pleasure. The mums that do this will have memory banks filled to overflowing of fond memories.

"The phrases that [we] hear or repeat continually, end by becoming convictions."
"Culture is religion externalised."
Two very strong statements which I do not take lightly.  Culture can be said to be our everyday lifestyle and our behaviour is directly influenced by what we believe (religion); our standards.  What we believe and the standards we live by are a direct result of what we feed our minds with and what we allow ourselves to listen to and repeat.  Being open to conviction on our chosen standards means we are constantly being refined and moving toward our goal of being the best God has for us to be.

Sow an act, reap a habit,
sow a habit, reap a character,
sow a character, reap a destiny.
                     Thomas a Kempis

Charlotte Mason assured us that "when we train our children in virtues while they are young, the enormous strain of moral decision will come upon them only occasionally."  Developing habit (training in self-government) plays a large part in developing good character in our children.

A concept Karen Andreola writes about is that of drawing a child forward with an inspiring idea, rather than endless nags or threats.  Idea is the motivating power of life, and friend of those who aim to be internally disciplined.  This is my challenge hence forth: to be less tyrannical and much more drawing and gentle! 

May the Lord help me, as I "water" daily, "weed" often, and encourage my family to face the warm sun of God's ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment