Pages

Monday 5 October 2015

Antarctica



For our geography, we have been looking at Antarctica.  In preparation I made a Continent Box full of information and activities to inspire learning through experience and fun.
{I will be making more of these Continent Boxes, and I will share them as we go.}  I found the idea on *this blog*


Plenty of reading material 
Maps and Charts
The 2 penguin drawings were done by Crystal and Blossom two years ago for *Penguin Science*.
Pictures of flora, fauna, land forms, transport each with a short explanation on the reverse of the card. 
Tactile resources

To begin with, on a suitably cold rainy day, we watched 2 dvds - Arctic/Antarctic and an Arctic Tale.  I thought about whether or not to include the Arctic in our resources for this unit, and decided it would be useful to make the comparisons.

Next I gave the children chunks of ice on a baking tray to play with the little animals.
Arrow's and Cedar's tray
Blossom's and Crystal's tray
A lot of action
All playing together
A few library books
I enjoyed putting this together for the children.  They enjoyed looking through all the bits.  On occasion someone will mention an Antarctic fact they have learned, or ask to look at a resource again.  Excellent!

Watch out for my next box... ''New Zealand''.  Coming soon.

~Lorna











No comments:

Post a Comment